Friday, November 14, 2014

Supporting Transitions with a Ready Not Ready Visual

Greetings, Everyone! 

It has been a little over a week since my last post...and wow, have I gotten smarter!!   Last week, I was in Dallas at NAEYC.  Despite the lost luggage, the conference was amazing. I learned more than I could have ever imagined.    

First off, I had the opportunity to present with Jenny Spencer. 


What a wonderful experience! You definitely need to check out her blog, Ignite Learning.  The confidence she had in me and her positive energy re'ignited', my love for Conscious Discipline.

Which leads me to the second opportunity NAEYC provided me, getting to reunite with Dr. Becky Bailey, the creator of Conscious Discipline. 



Her presence alone reminded me of why I went into education in the first place...to make a difference in the lives of children, families and staff. 

In speaking with her, I created a revamp to a post I did in February 2013 and one I shared during our presentation at NAEYC, the ready-not ready visual.  I added conscious language to support staff in consistently helping students with transitions using the visual. 

Transitions can be very hard for children. At which time, they tend to be in the brainstem with limited verbal communication. By teaching a student to communicate “I am not ready” the student is more likely to communicate his/her need for more time without hitting, kicking, biting, etc. 

So here is how it works:

One minute before it is time for a student who has a difficulty transitioning, set a one-minute timer, take a deep breath and prepare your student by saying “One more minute then it is time for . .” as you set up this table tent.


Then when the timer goes off, take three deep breaths, open the table tent and say “all done it is time for. . . are you ready or not ready.”  



If the student pulls the not ready icon and/or says not ready, celebrate this appropriate communication by saying “Good for you, you said you are ready." or "good for you, you said you are not ready, you may have one more minute.”  Then reset the timer and set the table tent up without putting the not ready icon back in.

When the timer goes off the second time, take three deep breaths and say ”all done time for...”  This time the not ready icon is not an option as it is time to set the limits.  Your student may still be reluctant to transitioning but the idea is that you are supporting them in making a transition and self-regulating as you give them the words to say they are not ready the first time and then helping them through the transition process the second time as you set the limits and tell the student it is time to transition, using empathy and positive intent.


“It is time for...  This is hard for you. You feel sad. How can I help you?”

Then turn the visual support to the back so the student can communicate his/her needs and/or you can help them communicate his/her needs.



For example, with this visual a student could request help or a break or you could communicate “This is hard, do you need a break? Hug? Deep Breath?” as you model the visuals use. 

I love the addition of the conscious language but please do not feel obligated to use this specific language.  It is just words to get you started.  A big thank you to Dr. Becky Bailey for suggesting this tweak!  Looking forward to hearing how this conscious language helps your students and staff. 

Click hereto print the document and get started!  Believe me..."YOU ARE READY!"

Best wishes, 
Lindy

   





  

2 comments:

  1. Great post about encouraging students to practice calming strategies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can i get access to this document? I would love to use with my students :)

    ReplyDelete